This weekend will mark my third time to attend a local “fall fashion swap,” a well-organized event that also raises money for local charities. The idea is to bring clothing to swap in exchange for other items of clothing (and the unclaimed items are then donated). I’ve written about the fall fashion swap in 2012 and 2013, as well as a different, large-scale fashion swap I attended last spring.
In my upcoming “budgeting bloggers” post next week, I will have more details about what items, if any, I will have snagged at the fashion swap this weekend. For this post, I’m highlighting the items I donated to the fashion swap. When I swapped out my summer and fall clothing, I went back through my closet, seeking items to donate.
I’m donating three tops to the effort, all for the same reason — they are all just too tight around the hips. (Standard pear-shape issue.)
- Black sleeveless popover from Old Navy, seen here
- Striped tunic picked up from last year’s fashion swap, last seen here
- Floral kimono top bought in Abu Dhabi, seen here in this “date night” post
- My beloved “Jane Austen” maxidress, seen here, here, and here
- Black cotton a-line skirt which I’ve had for years, last worn two summers ago!
- Tan cotton cargo skirt, last seen here
- Dark jeans from the large fashion swap this past spring (it gaps too much in the back)
Obviously, I like neutral-colored shorts and capris — staples in my casual wardrobe. I’ve replaced most of these, which have been in my closet for years:
- Khaki cargo shorts, Dockers for Kohl’s, seen here
- Grey cargo capris, Kohl’s, seen here
- Khaki cargo pants, Walmart, last seen here
It’s taken a LONG time to be ok with donating these shoes, especially the wedges. But it’s time. I just don’t wear the rope espadrille wedges much — they’re gorgeous to look at, but not very comfortable to walk in for extended periods of time. I’ve already replaced the brown wedges with this cognac pair.
- White rope espadrille wedges, Banana Republic, seen here
- Black rope espadrille wedges, Banana Republic, last seen here
- Brown strappy wedges, Rockport, last seen here
- Brown ankle boots, Target? — never made the blog!
So there you have it, my latest clothing donations in an ongoing effort to focus on practical, comfortable, and much-loved items in my closet.
Have you been to a fashion swap, or even just swapped clothing items between friends? Please leave a comment and let me know!