As summer nears (I love that here in the Pacific Northwest, summer starts when it’s supposed to, with the solstice!), I’m thinking about seasonal staples. What items do I wear summer after summer? The first one to come to mind is my white sheath dress, which I’ve had for years. And my mom had this dress for years, as it was hers from the ’60s. A classic never goes out of style!
Here is my inspiration board, with some ideas to take your white dress — in whatever style flatters your shape (shift, trapeze, full-skirted, etc), and in whatever texture you prefer (lace and crochet are always great for summer) — from day to night.
The main accessories are similar in both versions, done in different textures and colors. Adding classic, bold colors (like red, black, and/or blue) feels fresh for daytime, and pairing silver with white is always a chic option for evening.
And here are my real-life interpretations, using similar items from my own wardrobe:
White Dress – Day
White Dress – Night
By the way, I’ve also winterized this white dress, pairing it with a sweater and tights.
- You are the sword: plus size sheath dresses (fatchic.net)
- 5 Summer Staples That Will Transform Your Wardrobe (blogs.smarter.com)
- Ask CF: How Do I Wear a Jean Jacket Without Looking Outdated? (collegefashion.net)
- 5 Simple Tips for Dressing Down your Fancy Dress (inspiredbyfamilymag.com)
- Top tips for getting more out of your wardrobe (savethemoney.co.uk)
- Summer Coverups (islesofjane.com)