When? October 11, 2012
What for? No classes to teach today (but plenty of classes to schedule!), but I wanted to dress up a little today anyway. The southern roots are strong, y’all. The sartorial theme of the day seemed to be feminine, as that’s the word most often mentioned when I received a few compliments today (which always feels good). The theme for me personally today was bare legs and suede shoes, as we are expecting a four-day deluge tomorrow along with a 20-degree drop in temps. One last day to go suede!
Another recurring theme the past couple of weeks for me has been pulling out some old pieces that I had never really known what to do with before. And this flared pencil skirt — it’s got a little kick pleat in the back along with the cool seaming detail — is one of those pieces that always kind of flummoxed me. It’s a bit too large and gaping in the waist — and I am too lazy to get it tailored — but this is where purchasing tops in longer lengths and investing in layering pieces has paid off! (And I totally stole the sweater-vest-and-button-down idea from my hubby, who looked super cute in his version yesterday!) Also, I rolled up those shirt sleeves when I got to work for a more casual detail.
And for the hair, I finally tried the “wrap a piece of hair around the base of your ponytail” trick for a more polished take on my standard ponytail. And one of these early mornings, I will finally have enough energy to follow through with some eyeliner and lipstick. It’ll all come together, y’all. One of these days.
- Flared pencil skirt: Smart Set from PEI (Canadian store/brand that I loooove), actually part of a skirt set, matching blazer seen here
- Button-down: H&M, last winter
- Sweater vest: JCPenney?, a few years ago
- Purple suede heels: Franco Sarto, baby
- Long chain necklace: My mom’s
- Earrings: Gift from friend, from a Madison, WI art fair (seen in detail here)
- 8 Sweater Vests That Are Anything but Stuffy (fabsugar.com)
- How to Wear a Black Pencil Skirt From Day to Night! (fabsugar.com)
- Purple suede and pattern-mixing (librarianforlifestyle.wordpress.com)
- Another day, another pencil skirt (librarianforlifestyle.wordpress.com)
- Androgyny VS Girly Trend (scrapbookwardrobe.wordpress.com)