I’m doubling up again today, with two style challenges!
First up is the final theme for this week’s “We ♥ Target” style challenge, hosted by Whitney @ Along the Lines of Style and Heidi @ Literate and Stylish, which is favorite score. It’s funny how one of my favorite Target purchases ever wasn’t even on my radar at first. This navy trench coat from the Jason Wu for Target collection was one of the few things I was able to grab during the mad shopping dash at the opening day of that boutique collection. But over the past year, I have come to rely on the instant chic factor this classic trench coat brings to any ensemble I wear, on the weekend or for work.
And the other style challenge today is from this week’s beautiful SIA inspiration painting.
I had a lot of fun with this one, including a real-life tableau:
I focused on combining textures and patterns, like in the inspiration painting. And I got quite a few compliments from co-workers today on my pattern-mixing, but I would have never thought of pairing my graphic-print teal ankle pants with this tunic if it weren’t for this SIA challenge.
Details: Floral tunic: Woolworth’s, Abu Dhabi, 2008 / Graphic print ankle pants: Ann Taylor, winter / Teal tank top: Old Navy, gift-carded this month / Grey flats: DKNY via Macy’s, Fall 2011 / Gold hoop earrings: Birthday gift last year / Gold-and-coral ring: My paternal grandmother’s
The oh-so-innocent expression on my face in the photo above seems to be saying, “What me, pattern-mixing again?”
And the (slightly impish) response below? ”Of course.”
And the hair was also inspired by the SIA painting, as I echoed the center part and made three braided pinwheels to represent the flower shapes in the painted lady’s hair.
Below are a few more highlights of my navy trench coat to round out today’s double mix of style challenges.
- Classic Trench (thethreadengine.wordpress.com)
- Burberry Long Oversize Resinated Cotton Trench Coat (recoram.wordpress.com)
- How to wear a trench (75only75.wordpress.com)
- Timeless Fashion: TRENCH COAT DRESS (louloustarfashions.com)
- Trend Alert: Spring Trenches (thefashionfoot.com)
- Eddie Bauer Christine Trench Coat (recoram.com)
- Women Wardrobe: Trench Coat (chictip.com)
- Updating a Classic: The Trench Coat (forbes.com)
- Grey + teal pattern-mixing (librarianforlifestyle.wordpress.com)